Sunday, May 3, 2009

First letters from Mexico





Monday April 27th, 2009

I tried my best to interpret President Mendoza's letter and all I got was don't panic, I think, and keep baptizing 55 people a month in ever zone. so ya I'm not sure. I will tell people to email you and then you can forward them to me I guess. I don't know. I don't really like the rule just because we will probably only get mail once a month or so and I cant send mail to other people unless I wanna pay to ship it to Mexico so I'm not sure how else
I am gonna communicate with others besides email. That's a really good idea, to do the blog,I will try and send lots of pictures through email next week.

It's been awesome weather here. I really like it a lot. Its usually about 90 or so with humidity and it is always windy and usually the wind is cool, so it feels really good. I haven't gotten sunburned, yet, and I already am starting to look very Mexican. lol. I think I am gonna dye my hair dark and then I wont get mad fun of as much. Everybody thinks its really cool that I have blue eyes, especially the girls. A lot of people have never seen that before and they ask if they are fake. lol. My companion and I run every morning and I am definitely losing some weight to say the least.

The food is different then I though it would be, but it is really good. Luckily I haven't had to eat anything weird like dog or bird yet but I imagine I will at some point. My favorite thing is this pork dish that is breaded and fried and then rice and cabbage and avocados and tomatoes with lime. All in taco shells. its really really good. I actually like the corn tortillas here they are really good. And just the other day I found flour tortillas that are amazing.
Ya the food was horrible especially compared to now. But I only put on 4 pounds in the mtc, which is way better then most. One elder in my district put on 20 pounds and one of the chinos that was by us put on 30 pounds.

Ya so the Spanish. I remember that he said i would have the spirit of the gifts of tongues, and he also said I wouldn't get very sick, those are the only two things I remember. But it is extremely hard because i have nobody to talk to. The language is really coming well, and i am speaking alright. But most days it is frustrating because i have so much i wanna say and teach but i cant. My companion gave me a priesthood blessing which has helped. And my companion trained a gringo in December and he said i am picking up Spanish way faster than him. So i really am learning fast but its tough. I didn't know if we were working hard enough until my companion said we were by far the best companionship in our district. So ya all is well overall. I will happier when I can speak more though.
Love
Elder Mayberry

Date: Monday, April 20, 2009 11:25 AM

Well I sent you one email but it failed to send I guess so now I have to write another one. Mexico has been very hard. At first when we were in the mission offices it was really easy, but not so much anymore. I am getting adjusted to it though. The frist couple days have been really hard. Teaching the people is fun and meeting people but i have no clue what is going on. I had a cool experience on Thursday though. The morning was really hard. I was pretty depressed because I didn't know the language and my companion doesn't speak English and neither does the other companion ship.

I was really down and so I said a pray, probably the most sincere prayer ever. And we had to the opportunity to go the the temple and I got to do endowments and then sit through a sealing. It was really awesome. I wish I could explain more. If you get the first email it will have a lot more details and more stuff in it but I don't have anymore time. Tell me if you get the other email and if not I will tell you more next week.

Love Elder Mayberry

1 comment:

  1. Estoy muy feliz el poder leer tus cartas y saber que te encuentras bien Elder Mayberry! Ten paciencia con el lenguaje por que milagros veras y seras parte de ellos! gatea, camina y despues..... correras! Te deceo todo lo mejor y recuerda que no hay mejor recompenza que el estar en el servicio del Senor!!!!! Brother Lara

    ReplyDelete